CALL US NOW (404) 446-4700
(404) 446-4700
Home Practice Areas Firm Profile FAQs Blog Videos Testimonials Contact Us


F-1 (Academic Student)

The F-1 (Academic Student) nonimmigrant classification allows a foreign national to be a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program for the duration of the program.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that foreign nationals who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against the foreign nationals for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.

Asylum (Affirmative and Defensive)

An individual who is physically present in the US may file an affirmative or defensive application for asylum if they can show they have suffered past persecution and have a well founded fear of persecution based upon an enumerated ground.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

Individuals from designated countries who are in the US may apply for permission to stay here for a limited period of time. A TPS country designation may be based on armed-conflict, natural disasters, or other extraordinary but temporary conditions in the country.

B1/B2 Visitor Visa

Individuals who wish to come to the US for temporary business (B1) or tourism/pleasure (B2) – or a combination of both – may file for this visa at a Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Change or Extension of Status

Individuals in the US in certain nonimmigrant status may apply to change or extend this status or change to another category.