CALL US NOW (404) 446-4700
(404) 446-4700
Home Practice Areas Firm Profile FAQs Blog Videos Testimonials Contact Us

Family Based

I-130 Petition

A citizen or permanent resident of the US may file a Form I-130 Petition for certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members are subject to immigrant visa quotas before they can apply for adjustment of status to permanent residency. The filing and approval of an I-130 Petition is only the first step in helping a family member immigrate to the US.

K1 Fiance Petition

A US Citizen may file for their fiancé(e) who is living outside of the United States. The marriage must take place within 90 days of the foreign national’s entry into the US and the spouse may then apply for permanent residency.

Adjustment of Status

A foreign national may adjust status to that of a permanent resident of the United States based upon an approved Family Based or Employment Based Petition. An Adjustment of Status application may also be filed subsequent to a grant of asylum, the approval of a U Visa or under other eligibility categories.

Consular Processing

An individual who is the beneficiary of an approved family or employment based immigrant visa petition may apply at a US Department of State consulate abroad for permanent residency when a visa number becomes immediately available. The process begins at the National Visa Center and ends with an eligibility interview at a consular post abroad.

I-601A Provisional Waivers

Certain immediate relatives of US Citizens require a waiver of the unlawful presence bars under INA Section 212(a)(9)(B). The provisional unlawful presence waiver allows individuals who only require an unlawful presence waiver to file this waiver in the US before they depart for their immigrant visa interviews abroad.


A permanent resident who is 18 or older may file for citizenship if they can demonstrate continuous presence for at least 5 years, or 3 years in some cases if married to a US Citizen.

VAWA Petitions

An individual who is the spouse or child of an abusive US Citizen or permanent resident may file a self-petition as a victim of physical or extreme emotional abuse.

U Visa

A victim of certain criminal activity may apply for a U visa upon showing they are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation and prosecution of criminal activity.